Thursday, August 5, 2010

Why telling someone he is normal, is possibly the worst thing you could do.

The smarts, they say always have that streak of madness in them. Being in Advertising and being a writer, one could almost fail as a writer if one isn’t a little crazy. And I do grudgingly accept that the best writers I have met were all a tad eccentric.
Someone very dear to me, who is also quite a gym fanatic thinks normal people can never be regular at the gym. “They aren’t insecure, they don’t have a reason to slog it out in the gym, why would they“, he says.

All my life I have been told I was normal. And all my life I was happy with it. Because I always associated normal with sanity, zero fuss, ease and simplicity. Which were all nice things, I assumed.

Now when someone calls me normal, I ask if I am normal to the point of being boring, ambitionless, uncreative and stupid. Answers often vary.


While that’s not being fair on the normal tribe, but there’s indeed a point here. Normal means you aren’t weird. Normal means you are kind of okay with yourself. And there lies the problem. When you aren’t troubled, you are happy and when you are happy, you wouldn’t want to change anything, and when you don’t want to change a thing, you would most certainly not work like a maniac. And when you don’t work that way, you would stay where you are, and not do anything great with your life. And which makes normal a not very pleasant thing.


So to sum it up, calling someone normal means he/she is not good at his/her desk job, is not capable of doing any better, is boring and is not in shape.

Weird is what I aspire to be.

10 comments:

  1. nah weird people are just weird, and they say all that to appear cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post :) but you haven't qualified weirdness in any way. Is it same as eccentricity / idiosyncrasy?

    If not, then what makes somebody weird, and what's the difference between weirdness and eccentricity or peculiarity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone in office has a cool nick. We have Big Boss Man, we have Holy, Cow, etc. You know what I'm called? DNA. Da Normal Guy. Even my nick spells mediocre and people such as UIOW have given me this name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have half a mind to beat the weirdo arses back to neverland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. normal is not mediocre, normal is not average, normal is not typical, normal is a set of optimum values, collectively very rare anywhere - if people say you are normal you are extremely lucky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chandrashu.. yeah that's the point i am trying to make, i am normal, which to me means predictable and all the uncool things i wrote about.

    Mediocre, i guess we just have to live with it, one of the many perils of being happy i guess.

    UIOW, do not sugarcoat please :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice post da!! yeah u need to b a bit weird, at least in advertising...it helps in keeping the bugs (AEs) from eating your brain :P...good going Ritka...keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I m normal. Normal to the point that i am worried about being normal... hmm...excellent post .. insightful!

    ReplyDelete